7.03.2013

As For the Updating...


I’ve updated my blog links (on the right), so that if you need to find some art and/or want to waste some time looking at pretty things you can use my blog as a gateway to some creatively curated blogs and websites to that tune.  I don’t update this blog  much these days, really only when something is exceptionally inspiring to me personally at the time that I see it.  For the foreseeable future my favorite art finds will be posted on One Grand Gallery’s facebook page, which you can follow for those updates and for the physical shows and various happenings that occur there.  

I’ll tell you why I do this, too.  

If you’re like me, then you find inspiration in details of people’s art that you didn’t know you were looking for.  Then you steal the idea and reconstruct it with your own hands, a recreation that becomes completely different because it’s impossible to copy; and you don’t believe that a perfect copy is worth working for anyway.  The piece that you chose becomes an unwilling subject to all the other pieces that you fit together, recontextualized in a new environment on your piece of paper or your canvas.  

The freedom to choose your boundaries and constrictions is paradoxical, but necessary to create order and beauty.  If all of your ideas were let into your creation it would lose all meaning, it would be confusing, it would be a mess.  As would your life if you believed everyone’s beliefs.  Which is why you approach the knowledge, advice, and philosophy of others in the same way, choosing with a cautious eye which pieces work for you and strike you as true and beautiful.  And all of the ideas you’ve accepted influence your actions, arising somewhere between consciousness and habit like the order and disorder of a new painting.

No comments: