4.05.2008

P.S.1



We visited P.S.1 to see 'Whack!: Art and the Feminist Revolution.'  Included was art from many countries, from 1965 -'80.  Before going to this exhibit I would never have thought to fall in love with feminist art, but after seeing such a wide variety of expression from that movement I did indeed think about it, before disregarding the notion.  It's always fun to see expression of such force, with angst and frustration and anger spilling out of the art and into the viewer.  The feminist revolution was well represented, I think, by the art we saw there.  Materials ranging from oil paint to collage and mattresses, with messages ranging from subtle to extreme and in-your-face made it evident that a great variety of women were at this point united to the cause.  It's refreshingly stimulating to think that art can play a significant role in social change, and this exhibit could really help inspire future methods for change.  I didn't find the feminist concept very relevant for the current social climate, but it is an example of how free expression can prevail.  My favorite piece there wasn't about feminism as far as I could tell.

No comments: