4.05.2008

The Armory


The International fair of New Art at the Armory was exceptional.  Art galleries were representing from many countries, especially Germany for some reason.  The level of craftsmanship was top-notch, I suppose because the galleries are there to sell the art.  I only wish we could have stayed a while longer, and that I was a millionaire so that I could bring some of that home.  I guess i'll know where to go when I am though, right?  One piece that struck me was titled 'Flat Green Piss Painting' by Gavin turk (right).  After inquiring, I found out that the artist did indeed "arrange" his urine on a canvas that was painted with a metallic paint, then allowed to oxidize resulting in a flowing green painting.  I'm always interested in unusual techniques for creating design, and Turk definitely fit that bill.  This kind of venue had a really wide range of art, even if most were made to be sold.  That kind of parameter could inhibit the experimental process where some of the best results are realized, yet I felt that it wasn't very restricted.  It did not have the conceptual sculptures that reflect viewers like I had fallen in love with at Dia:Beacon, and the ideas executed weren't as far-reaching and experimental as the galleries around Chelsea District, but when it comes to the business of acquiring and selling art, this was as good as it gets.

No comments: